At Blackwell First School Nursery and Forest School we aim to educate the whole child and to ensure children are happy, healthy and fulfil their potential in terms of development of skills for life, social and moral values and academic success.
In order to develop well rounded children, Blackwell Nursery and Forest School offers:
• Stimulating and creative play, with a focus on Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, and Communication and Language.
• Opportunities to develop these skills in the outdoors as well as the indoors.
• Daily Forest School led by an experienced Forest School Leader.
• Experienced Early Years practitioners.
• Opportunities to develop a healthy lifestyle with exercise, outdoor play and home cooked meals provided by ‘The Blackwell Kitchen’.
• Wrap around care in the ‘Blackwell Before and After School Club’.
Our Early Years curriculum offers stimulating and creative play with a focus on the Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, and Communication and Language areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum as set out by the Department for Education.
Foundation Stage curriculum
This is the curriculum for children prior to and including the reception year in school. The focus is on ensuring children develop in a safe environment that supports their well being, social skills and increased personal independence. Skills and knowledge are developed through relevant and enjoyable play and experiences. A strong emphasis is placed on practical ‘hands on’ activities and the use of the outdoor areas in school. Children have the opportunity to experience:
• Forest School – in our Early Years Forest School, where children den build, create toys and art from natural materials, run, balance and climb and cook on fires in the outdoors
• Outdoor play – constructing dens, houses, boats and planes from crates and sheets, digging and floating in the sand and water play and mixing up potions or cakes in the mud kitchen
• Indoor play - using role play to explore the familiar world and engage in creative activities such as painting and junk modelling
• Storytimes and teaching sessions – opportunities to engage with quality texts, learn rhymes and poems and play with language as well as developing fine motor through WriteDance and 'Dough Disco', Maths, Phonics, Communication and Language and the all important 'listening' ready for school
• Singing and music – exploring their sense of rhythm and enjoyment of different types of music
• 7.15-8.20am Before Nursery club- wrap around care provided by ‘Blackwell Club’ supported by Nursery staff- chargeable (see booking form to include breakfast), then delivered to Nursery for 8.30am
• 8.30-11.30am Session 1- funded hours
• 11.30am-12pm Lunchtime- provided in the Nursery by ‘Blackwell Kitchen’ – chargeable (see booking form)
• 12pm-3pm Session 2- funded hours
• 3pm – 6pm- After Nursery club- wrap around care provided by ‘Blackwell Club’ supported by Nursery staff - chargeable (see booking form to include afternoon tea)